Ibn Shihab al-Zuhri & the death of Imam Zayd

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #389 by Yahya
As salamu 'alaykum !

What is the exact role of Ibn Shihab al-Zuhri against the Revolution of Imam Zayd (as) and his execution ?
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Yahya.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #391 by Imam Rassi Society
wa alaykum as salaam wa rahmatullah!

Thank you for your question! As for the role of Ibn Shihaab az-Zuhri, he officiated the execution of Imam Zayd (as) and justified his killing. Imam Ahmed b. Suleiman (as) said in his Usuul al-Ahkaam:

Urwa did not relate the hadith back to the Prophet; the narrator of the hadith, az-Zuhri, was one of those who guarded the wood beam used for the crucifixion of Zayd bin ‘Ali, upon him be peace, and therefore, his hadiths are rejected.

Imam al-Mu'ayyad Billah (as) said:

His reliability falls because he guarded the wood beam used for Zayd bin Ali, upon him be peace. There also occurred an argument between him and Zayn al-Abideen (as) about the former's praise of Mu'awiya, may Allah curse him.

He was also a known paid official of the Umayyads. Imam Mansuur Billah al-Qaasim b. Muhammad (as) said in his Al-I'tisaam:

Also az-Zuhri is in some of the chains of narrators, and he was an official of the Bani Umayya. There is no disagreement among the people that he used to take payment from them.

Imam Mansuur Billah Abdullah b. Hamza (as) said in his Ash-Shaafi':

Az-Zuhri was the tongue of Bani Umayya and specifically for Hishaam b. Abdul-Malik, the oppressive tyrant.

and in the same text he said:

Ibn Shihaab was inclined towards dunya. He assisted in the oppression of Bani Umayya with his knowledge.

Ibn Hajar said in his Tahdheeb at-Tahdheeb:

Az-Zuhri saw taking payments as permissible and he used to work for Bani Umayya.

Adh-Dhahabi said in his al-Mizaan in his biography of Khaarija b. al-Mus'ab that the latter said:

I met az-Zuhri while he was the head of the police for the Bani Umayya. I saw him riding and in his hand was a spear...

And Allah knows best!

IRS
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Imam Rassi Society.

More
7 years 6 months ago #408 by Yahya
Many thanks for this detail answer ! When it is said that he was one of those who guarded the wood beam used for the crucifixion of Imam Zayd (as), it was during Imam Zayd was on the wood beam or before ?

Also, in case of debate to support even more the rejection of Az Zuhri's narrations, do you know if Sunni sources are agree with this detail of his life ?

More
7 years 6 months ago #409 by Imam Rassi Society
Thank you for your questions! As for the role of az-Zuhri in respect to the execution of Imam Zayd (as), I believe that he guarded the wood beam used for the execution prior to the execution.

As for Sunni sources, they wholly agree with what we mentioned. The last two sources I cited in my previous post are Sunni sources. Furthermore, Haafiz adh-Dhahabi said in his Mizaan regarding az-Zuhri: "He used to narrate false hadiths knowingly (yudallis)." In hadith terminology, tadlees refers to the practice of narrating weak or inauthentic ahadith while knowing this to be the case. One hadith scholar (I forget who as I'm going by memory) said that tadlees is the "brother of lying" or something to that effect.

And Allah knows best!

IRS

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #427 by Yahya
Thank you for your answer ! But do you know some Sunni sources in which it is said explicitly that Zuhri guarded the wood beam ? Because we can deduce that he did it with what you mentioned but it is not explicit and a Sunni can say " It was not Zuhri who guarded the wood beam "
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Yahya.

More
7 years 4 months ago #428 by Imam Rassi Society
Thank you for your question! As for Sunni sources regarding az-Zuhri's role in the execution of Imam Zayd b. Ali (as), I wasn't able to find any reference.

Instead of being concerned about az-Zuhri's role in the killing of Imam Zayd (as), I would moreso be concerned with az-Zuhri's role in narrating false ahadith, which is in Sunni sources. Remember that Allah's Messenger, peace and blessings be upon him and his progeny, said in a well-known confirmed hadith: ((Whoever falsely attributes a hadith from me should take his seat in the Hellfire)). Such statement is clear and unequivocal. Therefore, if any conversation with a Sunni is to be had about az-Zuhri, it should be this one.

And Allah knows best!

IRS

Time to create page: 0.249 seconds