Banu Qurayza

More
6 years 6 months ago #697 by Pro-Alid
Banu Qurayza was created by Pro-Alid
Salamu alaykum,

Could you please provide some background information on the Banu Qurayza tribe. What were the events which lead up to this mass execution and why was it necessary?

According to Kitab Al-Sahih min Sirah Al-Imam ‘Ali by Ja’far Murtada Al-‘Amili, the Prophet appointed Ali ibn Abu Talib as the chief executioner and ordered him to behead hundreds of male combatants that belonged to the Banu Qurayza tribe. This is a Twelver book and according to the author, all of the narrations within the book are reliable and deemed sahih. Do Zaydi sources concur with this?

A number of Sunni reports also describe how the Prophet ordered all males who had reached the age of puberty to be executed, and numerous Sunni narrations explain that this was done by checking the private parts of the younger males in order to ascertain whether they had pubic hair. If they did, then they were to be executed. If they didn’t, then they were to be enslaved (this is narrated with a sahih chain in Sunan Abu Dawud). Do Zaydi sources also record this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #699 by Imam Rassi Society
Replied by Imam Rassi Society on topic Banu Qurayza
wa alaykum as salaam!

Thank you for your questions! As far as I know the Banu Qurayza were a Jewish tribe in Arabia during the time of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him and his progeny. As far as the mass executions, I am not familiar with such. Maybe it is mentioned in our books of history. As for the uncovering of the male combatants to determine whether they reached puberty, this does appear in one of our texts Al-Bahr az-Zakhkhaar. The author of the text does not refute such narration.

And Allah knows best!

IRS

More
6 years 6 months ago #700 by Pro-Alid
Replied by Pro-Alid on topic Banu Qurayza
Thank you for your quick response.

Does the narration in Al-Bahr az-Zakhaar state that the uncovering of the male combatants was carried out under the Prophet's orders? I ask this because all of the Sunni reports I have been able to locate on this particular point just state that it was something which the sahabah did without specifying whether this was actually a command from the Prophet.

More
6 years 6 months ago #716 by Imam Rassi Society
Replied by Imam Rassi Society on topic Banu Qurayza
Thank you for your question! According to the text Al-Bahr az-Zakhkhaar, the early Companion Sa'd bin Mu'aadh, may Allah be pleased with him, suggested this action and the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him and his progeny, approved of it.

And Allah knows best!

IRS

Time to create page: 0.324 seconds