Did Imam Ali a.s. burn the heretics with Fire?

More
4 years 6 months ago #283 by Khalid Amin
Assalaamu aleykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

in the Musnad of Imam Zayd, in the Book of Hudood, there is the Hadith:

.‫بالنار‬ ‫السواد‬ ‫من‬ ‫زنادقة‬ ‫حرق‬ ‫انه‬ )‫م‬ ‫(ع‬ ‫علي‬ ‫عن‬ ‫جده‬ ‫عن‬ ‫أبيه‬ ‫عن‬ ‫علي‬ ‫بن‬ ‫زيد‬ ‫حدثني‬
Imam Zaid bin Ali ( peace be upon him ) said that Imam Ali bin Abi-Talib " Executed heretics from Al-Sawad by burning ."

Is this true?

Because Rasulullah s.a.w.s. said, that punishing by fire is forbidden, because Allah is the only One to punish with fire.

Could you make this clear inshaAllah?

Barak Allahu feekum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #284 by Khalid Amin
I Excuse the arabic text being mirrored, it happened when I copied it

More
4 years 6 months ago #286 by Imam Rassi Society
wa alaykum as salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!

Thank you for your question! As for the riwaya about Imam 'Ali (as) burning the heretics with fire, it does appear in Zaydi sources as you mentioned. I have not read that any of the imams or hadith scholars doubted its authenticity. However, I could not locate any hadith or riwaya from the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him and his progeny, from Zaydi sources in which he forbade such action. Perhaps you can cite the source of the latter from Zaydi sources.

And Allah knows best!

IRS
The following user(s) said Thank You: Khalid Amin

More
4 years 6 months ago #290 by Khalid Amin
Baraḱ Allahu feekum and thank you for your reply! Unfortunately the Musnad of Imam Zayd a.s. is the only source of Zaidi ahadith i have access to, so I only know of sunni sources about the forbiddance. If I come across something new related to the topic I will post it inshaAllah.

JazakAllahu wa khayran

Time to create page: 0.348 seconds