Witr, supplications

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #366 by ummyasmin
Assalamu'alaykum,

May Allah reward you for your wonderful work in making Zaidi texts available in English. I have a couple of questions and I've not been able to find the answers in the English texts you have so generously provided mashallah.

1. In sujud, as well as 3x "subhanallah al-a`lá wa bihamdi" may we say other supplications as well and if so must they be strictly from the Qur'an or may we use other Prophetic supplications or ask Allah for what we need?

2.in the witr prayer, is the tashahhud said after the second rakat (without benedictions on the Prophet and his progeny and tasleem) or do you move straight from sujud into standing like it was after the first rakat?

3. Is witr recited aloud or softly?

Jazakum Allahu khayran
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by ummyasmin. Reason: Autocorrect fail

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #367 by Imam Rassi Society
wa alaykum as salaam wa rahmatullahi!

Thanks for your questions, sister!

1.) In the sujuud for the prayers, the most established opinion is that one only recites the tasbeeh 3, 5 or 7 times.
2.) The tashahhud is recited once in the last (i.e. third) raka't with the salawaat upon the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him and his progeny. There is only one sitting.
3.) It is your choice; however, it is sunnah to recite aloud (especially the qunuut).

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

And Allah knows best!

IRS

More
7 years 7 months ago #368 by ummyasmin
Replied by ummyasmin on topic Witr, supplications
jazakallahu khayran, thank you so much. I am so grateful as for a long time my heart has been inclined to the Zaidi path ever since I visited Yemen many years ago, but there was never any resources in English for me to learn more. I am so happy that this forum exists, walhamdulillah. If there is anything I can do to assist, I would be happy to.
wasalam
Umm Yasmin

More
7 years 7 months ago #370 by Imam Rassi Society
No problem sis!

If you don't mind would you mind sharing what attracted you to the Zaydiyya? And what were your leanings before?

Jazak Alllah khayr!

IRS

More
7 years 7 months ago #371 by ummyasmin
Replied by ummyasmin on topic Witr, supplications
certainly. I am of a convert background so it was to standard traditional Sunnism that I converted as that was 'available' to me. I learned to pray at first how the people around me were praying (probably Hanafi and/or Shafi'i) but then I started to study Maliki as I felt that was closer to the Companions who knew Rasulullah, sallallahu alayhi wasalam. But there were always little things in the prayer that I felt weren't "clicking for me". Then I went to study Arabic in Yemen (just at a regular language school in Sana'a) and it was there I learned of the existence of the Zaydi Muslims. They had me intrigued as they seemed to be the best of both Sunni and Shi'i worlds. I had always felt that Rasulullah had probably meant for Ali, radiallahu anhu, to succeed him but because of the political situation at the time with the tribes of the Ansar that it couldn't happen, and anyway I did feel inclined to recognise his imamate but what I knew of 12ver theology seemed to take things too far in their esotericism and adulation. I also did not feel it was the correct adab to curse the Companions like Abu Bakr because they had been so close to our Rasul.

So when I was in Yemen, my friend and I wanted to attend the Friday prayer and I got lost from the usual (Sunni) masjid that I had attended before, and I saw a little elderly lady who looked like she was heading to the prayer, so I asked her to show us. She motioned for us to follow her, so she took us this way and that way (I would never manage to find the masjid again, the streets of the old city do take some knowing!!) but she invited us into the women's section. There no-one spoke any English and our Arabic was pretty limited. I don't know if any white Muslim convert women had ever prayed in there before but I would say probably not. Some little girls sidled up to us and sat with us, and another sister gave us some fragrant herb (maybe Basil??) to put in our clothes to smell nice. Anyway the only reason I discovered it was a Zaydi masjid is because when we stood for prayer, everyone had their hands at their sides. But the masjid had such a welcome feel to it, and I really felt like this was my home.

I never managed to find my way back there again, sadly, but I always took it as a sign from Allah, subhana wa t'ala there was something more for me to discover about the Zaydi path. But then when I came home there was so little in the English language, I kind of gave up on it for a while. If anyone asked me, I'd say I was Zaydi theologically but prayed Maliki. Anyway, that's my story so I am so happy to be learning to pray properly and to learn more about what it means to recognise and follow the Zaydiyyah.

wasalam fi iman Allah
Umm Yasmin

More
7 years 7 months ago #374 by Imam Rassi Society
Thank you for your inspiring story! I'm sure that the obscurity of the madhhab makes it intriguing for people to learn more about it. However, it is unfortunate that other Yemenis don't take advantage of the opportunity to inform others. But alhamdulillah, due to the ni'ma of Allah, more and more people are coming to learn about the Zaydiyya.

We will try to aid you in any way we can, inshaAllah.

And Allah knows best!

IRS

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds