Hadith of folding the hands in Musnad Imam Zaid

More
2 years 9 months ago #756 by AbuZayn93
Salams.

My Hanafi friend told me his teacher has mentioned that the Musnad of Imam Zaid contains the Hadith of placing the right hand over the other, which is what the Hanafis use as evidence, could you clarify more please? Jzk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #758 by Imam Rassi Society
Salaams!

Thank you for your question! We have addressed this issue in our article . Please refer to it. Even if the report in the Musnad Imam Zayd (as) was explicit in mentioning the grasping of the arms in the prayer, it would not serve as a proof because it is possible that such practice was abrogated. The grandson of Imam Zayd (as), Imam Ahmed b. Isa b. Zayd (as) was narrated to have prayed with his arms by the sides without folding them. [Ref. Amaali Ahmed b. Isa and Jami'a al-Aqwaal] Therefore, the narration in the Musnad cannot be said to serve as a proof for such practice.

And Allah knows best!

IRS
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Imam Rassi Society.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AbuZayn93

More
2 years 9 months ago #759 by AbuZayn93
wasalam, thank you for your response! I also pray Sadl as well as I follow the Maliki Madhab, I do believe and some of my Maliki teachers are of the opinion that Qabd was a political move to oust out any supporters of the Ahlul Bayt A.S.

More
2 years 9 months ago #760 by Imam Rassi Society
Salaams! Yes. It is quite possible that the qabd and other practices were introduced and maintained for political purposes and reasons. Even if you look at the most 'authentic' narration of qabd, it says "The people used to be ordered to cross the right hand over the left in the prayer." The narration does not say who ordered the people to do so. Since the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him and his progeny, is not mentioned as the one who ordered, the one who ordered is majhuul (unknown). An order from an unknown person is not valid.

It is also telling that if the people were ordered to do something, this means that they were not doing it before. If they weren't doing it before, they were doing something else. Also, what was the reason that the people weren't doing it so that they had to be ordered to do it? And why were they ordered to do it? Even if it was a Sunnah as others maintain, you cannot order smeone to do a Sunnah action.

Given all of the above, even the most authentic narration of qabd actually disproves it rather than supports it.

And Allah knows best!

IRS
The following user(s) said Thank You: AbuZayn93

More
2 years 9 months ago #761 by AbuZayn93
One of my teachers explained that during that time, the mimbar and the Masjid was used as a political platform. People 'refused to pray behind' certain Imams, The khateeb would announce current political climates, and the salah itself became a political show. Seeing as though many of the Khateebs were in practise of openly cursing Ali A.S, likewise to differ from the supporters of Ahlul Bayt, the people were ordered to cross their arms in prayer. In the Maliki Madhab the practise of Sadl remained in Medina openly due to the capital changing to Kufa, so Medina was not much affected by this changes so much.

Thanks for your time, I find the Zaidi Madhab most interesting. I have always been a lover of comparetive fiqh issues, and general Islamic history. A lot of my teachers, although 'Sunni', are very front about the Ummayed and Abbasid changes to the system and are very pro Ahlul Bayt in this regard. My friend who is a Hanafi, also prayes in Sadl, and his teacher Sh Atabek Shukurov has given permission for his followers to also pray Sadl if they wish to, and to even follow the Zaidi Madhab.

Time to create page: 0.684 seconds