Timing for Maghrib and Fasting

More
6 years 5 months ago #802 by AbuZayn93
Salams,

Thank you for your quick responses and helping us to understand the Madhab of Imam Zaid. I would like to know the Zaidi (and Jafari) evidences if possible for the later times of Maghrib and breaking the fast later than the Sunni schools, Thanks very much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #810 by Imam Rassi Society
Salams!

Thank you for your questions! As for the evidences of the later times for maghrib and breaking the fast, the Qur'an is the foremost proof. The Qur'an refers to the sunset prayers with the word layl, which means 'night.' To my knowledge, I don't remember the Qur'an using the word maghrib to refer to the first night prayer. That withstanding, the Qur'an also indicates the onset of the night in the verse: {Then when the night covered him, he saw a star...} (Q. 6:76). Our imams (as) therefore hold to the view that the sight of a star indicates the beginning of night. [Ref. Al-Ahkaam and Majmu Kutub wa Rasaa`il Imam al-Qaasim bin Ibrahim ar-Rassi].

As for the ahadith, there is evidence as well. It is narrated in the books of the 'Sahih Sittah' on the authority of Abu Basra al-Ghifari:

The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) led us in the 'Asr prayer at (the place known as) Mukhammas, and then said: ((This prayer was presented to those gone before you, but they lost it, and he who guards it has two rewards in store for him. And no prayer is valid after until the witness (ash-Shaahid) appears.)) [By 'witness,' the evening star (najm) is meant].

Sahih Muslim
عَنْ أَبِي بَصْرَةَ الْغِفَارِيِّ، قَالَ صَلَّى بِنَا رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم الْعَصْرَ بِالْمُخَمَّصِ فَقَالَ ‏ "‏ إِنَّ هَذِهِ الصَّلاَةَ عُرِضَتْ عَلَى مَنْ كَانَ قَبْلَكُمْ فَضَيَّعُوهَا فَمَنْ حَافَظَ عَلَيْهَا كَانَ لَهُ أَجْرُهُ مَرَّتَيْنِ وَلاَ صَلاَةَ بَعْدَهَا حَتَّى يَطْلُعَ الشَّاهِدُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ وَالشَّاهِدُ النَّجْمُ ‏.‏

This hadith is clear and explicit that the sign of the first night prayer is the appearance of a star and that no prayer is valid until then. I am amazed that with such clear and unambiguous proofs, Sunni jurists still insist that the time for al-maghrib comes in BEFORE a star appears!

And Allah knows best!

IRS
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Imam Rassi Society.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AbuZayn93

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds