Najasat/tatooing

More
2 years 9 months ago #1255 by Alexproios
Najasat/tatooing was created by Alexproios
Asalaamu alaikum wa Rahmatullah,

JazakhAllah Khairan for all the helpful answers you've provided, I have a few more fiqh questions:

1) Are all forms of alcohol considered najis? For example, rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer?

2) Is tattooing haram? I know Twelvers permit it, and most Sunnis forbid it excluding one of the recent Grand Muftis of Al Azhar who permits it for women, but I've been unable to find any specific ruling on this issue from Imams or modern day Zaydi scholars. If there are any specific rulings on this from scholars like Sayyid Badrudeen Al-Houthi(ra) or Imam Majideen Al-Muayyadi(as), it would be greatly appreciated.

3) Are all musical instruments and all music considered haram? I've read Imam Nasir(as) completely forbid it, and even considered destroying musical instruments a requirement of the Islamic government, but I've noticed that modern Nasheeds sometimes include instruments, and I'm wondering if any modern scholars like those mentioned above, take a more lenient stance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #1256 by Imam Rassi Society
Replied by Imam Rassi Society on topic Najasat/tatooing
wa alaykum as salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu!

Thank you for your questions!

1. In a previous post, we posted the ruling regarding alcohol. According to our scholars, the impure alcohol is that which is drunk to intoxicate. Rubbing alcohol is not included in this. It is therefore pure.

2. Tattooing was and is considered haraam. I know of no contrary opinion amongst our scholars regarding the prohibition of tattooing. I'm sure it could be argued that the method of tattooing now is different from that of the past; however, the same fundamental basis applies since it doesn't changes.

3. Please refer here for your third question.

And Allah knows best!

IRS

More
2 years 9 months ago #1259 by Alexproios
Replied by Alexproios on topic Najasat/tatooing
JazakhAllah Khairan!

2) Would this mean it's required to remove existing tattoos? For example, I have tattoos of Greek mythological gods on my arms from before my conversion and would like to cover them with non-blasphemous images/patterns. Tattoo removal is extremely expensive, and trying to remove them at home would be dangerous, and I was hoping this would be a cheap/safe alternative.

Do Zaydi scholars rule the act of tattooing itself haram, or only in cases like that of the mentioned hadith, where the Prophet(sawa) cursed women who tattooed and plucked hair in order to make themselves more attractive?

I have two other questions pertaining to najasa:

Is there consensus on the najasa of dogs?

And is all vomit considered najis? My son regularly spits up undigested breast milk after feeding and it gets all over everything.

Again, JazakhAllah Khairan

More
2 years 9 months ago #1262 by Imam Rassi Society
InshaAllah, I'll ask a mufti and reply as soon as I receive the response.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexproios

More
2 years 9 months ago #1265 by Imam Rassi Society
as salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi!

Please find below the response of the mufti. I will translate his reply and include the original Arabic text in case someone can point out any translation errors.

1. Tattooing on the body is forbidden because it has been established from the Prophet, may Allah's prayers and peace be upon him and his family, that he cursed the woman who applies false hair and the female who requests that false hair be applied, as well as the female tattooist, and the female who requests that the tattoo be applied. And if a person does it in a state of ignorance of the prohibition, or does tattooing when he is young, then if it is something that he can remove, he must remove it. As for if removing it would cause harm to the person, then he does not have to do anything. He simply repents to Allah Almighty and asks Him for forgiveness. It does not harm him if it remains on his body.

الوشم في الجسم حرام لما ثبت عن النبي صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم أنه لعن الواصلة والمستوصلة والواشمة والمستوشمة، وإذا فعله الشخص في حال جهله بالتحريم، أو عمل به الوشم في حال كونه صغيراً فإن كان مما يزال فعليه إزالته أما إذا لم يزال إلا ويتضرر الإنسان فليس عليه شيء ويتوب إلى الله تعالى ويستغفره، ولا يضره بقاؤه في جسمه

2. For the second, there is the consensus from the Ahl al-Bayt, peace be upon them, and their consensus is an evidence based on his saying, may Allah's prayers and peace be upon him and his family: ((I will leave among you that which if you hold on to, you will never go astray after me, the Book of Allah and my Progeny, the Ahl al-Bayt...)) etc.

الثاني هناك إجماع أهل البيت عليهم السلام واجماعهم حجة لقوله صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم إني تارك فيكم ماان تمسكتم به لن تضلوا من بعدي أبدا كتاب الله وعترتي أهل بيتي إن اللطيف الخبير الخ

3. As for the third, yes. It is considered ritually impure.

الثالث نعم نجس‎

May Allah reward the brothers at Anazaidi.net for forwarding the questions to a mufti!

And Allah knows best!

IRS

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds