Zaydi Tafsir of 5:44?

More
1 week 5 days ago - 1 week 5 days ago #580 by Pro-Alid
Pro-Alid created the topic: Zaydi Tafsir of 5:44?
Salam alaykum!

5:44 of the Qur'an says "Whoever does not rule by what Allah has revealed, such are the Kafirun" - most Sunni commentators are of the view that the type of kufr mentioned here is a lesser type of kufr that does not cause one to leave the fold of Islam (kufr duna kufa) due to a number of reports from the Sahabah, most famously from Ibn Abbas. Some other Sunni commentators claim that this verse is exclusively about the Jews and does not even apply to Muslims (Ibn Kathir mentions this as one opinion in his Tafsir).

Can you elaborate on what the Zaydi tafsir of this part of the ayah is? Do any Zaydi scholars uphold kufr duna kufr or state that it cannot be applied on Muslims as it was revealed about the Jews? If these exceptions are not present and Zaydis interpret the ayah as kufr akbar that takes one out of Islam, is it therefore permissible to make takfir on these rulers?
Last Edit: 1 week 5 days ago by Pro-Alid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 3 days ago #583 by Imam Rassi Society
Imam Rassi Society replied the topic: Zaydi Tafsir of 5:44?
wa alaykum as salaam!

Thank you for your question! As for the tafsir of the verse, our imams say that this refers to kufr an-ni'ma (disobedience). Imam al-Haadi (as) said in his Kitaab al-Baaligh al-Mudarik :

He [i.e. Allah] says: {Whosoever judges not by that which Allah hath revealed—such are disbelievers (al-kaafiroon)} (Q. 5:44). The kaafir here refers to everyone who commits acts of disobedience to Allah and acts contrary to His command and opposite to His judgement.

There is also a narration from Imam Nasir al-Haqq (as) that kaafiroon refers to disobedient Muslims.

And Allah knows best!

IRS

More
1 week 3 days ago - 1 week 3 days ago #586 by Pro-Alid
Pro-Alid replied the topic: Zaydi Tafsir of 5:44?
Thank you, although I'm still a little confused. Does kufr an-ni'ma take someone out of Islam or not? It's not clear to me whether you are saying the person just becomes disobedient in the sense of merely being a fasiq (transgressor) or whether they have actually become a disbeliever.

Take the following scenario as an example: If a ruler of a country disregards the book of Allah when it comes to the governance of people and implements the law according to their desires, that person according to my understanding of your explanation is guilty of kufr an-ni'ma, but are they still a Muslim or not?
Last Edit: 1 week 3 days ago by Pro-Alid.

More
5 days 15 hours ago #590 by Imam Rassi Society
Imam Rassi Society replied the topic: Zaydi Tafsir of 5:44?
Kufr an-Ni'ma refers to disobedience however, the person is still considered a Muslim. Please refer to the following translation for more clarity on the issue.

And Allah knows best!

IRS

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds