Zaydi tafsir on the creation of man

More
6 years 8 months ago #647 by Pro-Alid
Can you please provide a tafsir of the following ayat:

“And (remember) when your Lord said to the angels: ‘I am going to create a human (Adam) from sounding clay of altered black smooth mud.  So when I have fashioned him and breathed into him (his) soul created by Me, then you fall down prostrate to him.” (Surat al-Sad 38:71-72)

“Verily, in the sight of God, the nature of Jesus is as the nature of Adam, whom He created out of dust and then said unto him, "Be" - and he is” (Surat al-Imran 3:59)

“We made out of water every living thing?” (Surat al-Anbya 21:30)

Could you please clarify whether Allah literally created Adam out of clay. If so, was it just clay that Allah used or was it a combination of other things because other ayat say we were created from water and dust, which seems contradictory. Also, when the ayah says Allah "fashioned" and "breathed" into Adam, what does this mean and is this literal?

Please let me know the commentators which you are referring to as well.

Barakallahu feek!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #648 by Imam Rassi Society
Thank you for your question!

According to our commentators, the first verse simply means that Allah created Adam and gave him life by bestowing on him a created spirit. The spirit is a subtle creation of Allah that is not unique to Adam, upon him be peace. Elsewhere, Allah says about the birth of Nabi Isa (as): {...and We breathed in it (Maryam's womb) from Our spirit} (Q: 66:12). This means: We gave him life and created in him a spirit. This is the statement of Imam al-Haadi, upon him be peace. (Ref. Tafsir al-A'qam, Al-Miftaah as-Sa'ada )

As for the verses that mention the creation of Adam from dust, this can refer to the clay as you mentioned. As for the creation of every living thing out of water, there is no contradiction because the water that is referred to can also refer to the semen like fluid that produces animals. See Surah Nur:45. Or it can refer to the literal water that constitutes all living things such as humans, animals and plants. (Ref. Tafsir al-A'qam )

And Allah knowss best!

IRS

More
6 years 8 months ago #649 by Pro-Alid
When the Quran talks about Adam being created with clay, does this literally mean that Allah fashioned Adam with clay, the same way a potter makes a statue? When discussing this verse with some people, I have obtained the impression that Allah created Adam the same way a potter would create a statue, and then Allah breathed into the clay statue body which in turn created Adam's soul and turned the statue into a human being.

Also, what is the difference between the word turabin تُرَابٍ which is used in 3:59 and the word tinin طِينٍ which is used in 38:71? Some translators have translated turabin to “dust”, while others have chosen words such as “earth” and “soil” - which one is correct?

Is it possible that when the Quran mentions tinin طِينٍ or clay, it is referring to a combination of water and turabin? I say this because clay contains variable amounts of water.

More
6 years 8 months ago #652 by Imam Rassi Society
Thank you for your question! As for the verse in question, I've never come across anything to suggest other than a literal meaning of creating man from clay or dust. Clay is the intermixing of dust and water as you said. The image of Adam was formed from the clay and then given life as the verse mentioned.

Hope this helps! And Allah knows best!

IRS

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds