Zaydi tafsir of 4:157

More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #736 by Pro-Alid
That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Apostle of God";- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) know ledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:- (Surat an-Nisa 4:157)

Assalamu alaykum, I have a few questions on the above verse:

When the ayah says “wa ma Salabu-hu” (nor crucified him) - what is the exact meaning of the word “salab” here? Is it linguistically possible for isa to have been on the cross but not crucified to death (i.e. is it possible that isa survived the crucifixion), or does the word “salab” make it impossible for him to have been on the cross at all? In other words, does the word "salab" mean "crucifixion to death" or can the meaning entail that he was on the cross but survived the crucifixion.

Also, when the ayah says ‘wa lakin Shubbiha La-hum’ (but so it was made to appear to them) - what is the exact meaning of Shubbiha here? Many translate it to mean “appeared” - if this translation is correct, does this mean that a group of people must have been eye-witnesses to an actual crucifixion? The reason I ask, is because some people have translated “Shubbiha” as “seems” which would allow room for further interpretation, i.e. could it be that no one was actually crucified but the Jews in question created a lie, i.e. by fabricating a tale that isa was crucified, and once this rumour was spread, this is how “it was made to appear/seem to them”?

I would greatly appreciate some feedback on my questions, as well as some knowledge on what the Zaydi commentators have said on these specific issues.

Barakallahu feek!
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Pro-Alid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #741 by Imam Rassi Society
wa alaykum as salaam wa rahma!

Thank you for your question! As far as I know, the word salaba denotes fastening or attaching a person onto a wooden pole or something similar. [Ref. At-Tayseer fi at-Tafseer] As to whether the word implies that person is killed by such, I'm not sure. I am inclined to believe that it doesn't because the verse says that they did not kill him or crucify him. If killing were implied by 'crucify' it would seem rather redundant.

According to our imams, the meaning of {it was made to appear to them} is that the disbeliever who betrayed Nabi Isa (as) was made to resemble him and he was crucified and killed in his place. Consequently, everyone was convinced that it was Isa (as) who was killed. Imam al-Murtaza Muhammad bin al-Haadi (as) said this as was recorded in Al-Masaabeeh.

And Allah knows best!

IRS

More
6 years 5 months ago #744 by Pro-Alid
Replied by Pro-Alid on topic Zaydi tafsir of 4:157
Thank you for your answer.

Can I please request clarification on the following:

When the ayah says "That they said (in boast)" - who do the Zaydi commentators say "they" is? Is it the Romans, or is it the Jews, or perhaps both?

Similarily, when the ayah says "it was made to appear to them" - do the Zaydis agree that "them" refers to the Romans?

More
6 years 5 months ago #749 by Imam Rassi Society
Thank you for your question! According to Zaydi sources such as Tahkeem al-Uquul as well as the immediate context of the verse, it refers to the Jews. Please refer to the previous verse.

And Allah knows best!

IRS

Time to create page: 0.319 seconds