Zaydi tafsir of 37:102

More
6 years 6 months ago #754 by Pro-Alid
Salamu alaykum,

I would greatly appreciate if you could let me know what the various Zaydi tafsirs say on the following ayah:

And when he reached with him [the age of] exertion, he said, "O my son, indeed I have seen in a dream that I [must] sacrifice you, so see what you think." He said, "O my father, do as you are commanded. You will find me, if Allah wills, of the steadfast." (Surat as-Saffat 37:102)

The dominant Sunni interpretation is that Allah ordered Ibrahim to kill and sacrifice his son. However, this seems problematic to me in light of an established principle in Zaydi creed, which is that Allah never orders or commands injustice and evil. Interestingly, the famous Sufi commentator, Ibn Arabi comments on the ayah stating that the ayah does not actually say that Allah commanded Ibrahim to sacrifice his son. Ibn Arabi holds that this was just Ibrahim’s interpretation of the dream, which was wrong. Are any Zaydi scholars in agreement with Ibn Arabi here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #755 by abuzaed
Replied by abuzaed on topic Zaydi tafsir of 37:102
My understanding had always been that Nabi Ibrahim AS was put in a test, that ALLAH SWT will protect the thing that is most dear to Ibrahim AS if he intends to sacrifice it for ALLAH. When Ibrahim AS blindfolded himself, he passed the test, and revelation ordered him to sacrifice a lamb instead.

More
6 years 6 months ago #757 by Imam Rassi Society
wa alaykum as salaam!

Thank you for your question! This question was addressed by one of our scholars in a debate. In Majaalis at-Tabari, Allama Ahmed b. Musa at-Tabari was asked about the sacrifice of Nabi ibrahim (as) and whether he fulfilled the order he was given. Allama at-Tabari responded by saying:

Allah simply commanded Ibrahim to pass the knife over the neck of his son. Ibrahim did what Allah commanded him. This is confirmed by the statement of Allah: {And We called out saying "O Ibrahim! You have fulfilled the dream..."} (Q. 37:104-105).

Hopefully this helps! And Allah knows best!

IRS

Time to create page: 0.474 seconds